Art and Design Community
What is the Art and Design Community?
The Art and Design Community is a group of students living and working together to develop creative art and design projects. Students will discover how art and design can transform the world and will share creative works with the larger campus community through exhibitions and community events. Residents living here will have unique opportunities to connect with working artists and designers from the university and beyond. Learning how to use art and design to enrich our communities and world is central to the Art and Design Community.
Why should I choose the Art and Design Community?
The Art and Design community is open to students interested in making art, viewing art, or creating original, inventive designs. You will be introduced to studio-based learning and foundational concepts of art and design. As part of our creative community, you will connect with like-minded peers, faculty, professional artists, and designers through special events and activities. No previous experience is required, although priority will be given to students majoring in any school in the university’s College of Design. The Department of Art and the College of Design collaborate to support this community.
Which classes will we take?
- ART 115: Surface, Space, and Time (4 credits)
- AAA 199: Design Create Change
- One-credit sketchbook course fall and winter terms
- One-credit exhibition course spring term
- All courses satisfy specific major and/or minor requirements
The Art and Design ARC is in Kalapuya Ilihi. Please note that Academic Residential Communities can be moved to different residence hall buildings if the size or need of the community changes.
Who is eligible and how do I apply?
All first-year students are eligible.
- First - Apply for University Housing and select the program you prefer in the "Academic Residential Communities" section.
- Second - Fill out the Supplemental Application page which will show at the end of your housing application. The program director will be in communication with you over the summer to remind you to fill out the form and determine class placement and details.
All students who are interested in art and design are welcome. Any student planning to major or who has already been accepted in art, design, or other College of Design disciplines are encouraged to apply. For more information, contact Jessica Swanson, faculty director, at firstname.lastname@example.org