What is this Community?
The Global Engagement Academic Residential Community is an active experiential learning environment that provides residents the opportunity to engage with their peers in Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. Learners will have the opportunity to improve their own language proficiency and engage in a variety of culturally-relevant experiences. Throughout the year, residents have opportunities to participate in conversation groups, cooking events, film screenings, field trips, game nights, and other activities that allow for cultural and language exploration in social, academic, and cultural contexts.
Why should I choose to live in the Global Engagement Community?
Knowing other languages and understanding other cultures is a must for students as they prepare to live and work in a global society. No matter what major you pursue, you will interact with others—locally and around the world—whose native language is not English. Advanced proficiency in another language opens doors in your research by giving you access to a wealth of resources, and living in an immersive community prepares you for more than 100 programs that the University of Oregon offers in other countries.
Which classes will we take?
- Global Populisms Class UGST 199
- ARC Seminar. Fall, winter, and spring.
- Language courses in your target language.
This community is currently located in Global Scholars Hall. Please note that Academic Residential Communities can be moved to different residence hall buildings if the size or need of the community changes.
Who is eligible and how do I apply?
All first-year students are eligible.
- First - Apply for University Housing and select the program you prefer in the "Communities" section.
- Second - Fill out the Supplemental Application page which will show at the end of your housing application, the program director will be in communication with you over the summer to remind you to fill out the form and determine class placement and details.
For more information, send us an email.