Media and Social Action Residential Community
What is the Media and Social Action Residential Community?
Media and Social Action is an Academic Residential Community for undergraduate students who are interested in communication and passionate about social issues. Here you will learn how to harness digital, social, and news media to raise awareness, shape attitudes, and move people toward meaningful action.
Why should I choose to live in the community?
This is a brand-new physical and intellectual space, launching Fall 2017. Through exclusive learning opportunities coordinated by the School of Journalism and Communication, you will:
- Create compelling stories using digital, social, and mobile technologies
- Learn how to plan and implement strategic communication plans for social good
- Better understand community and group behaviors and needs through interdisciplinary courses Participate in exclusive learning partnerships with community organizations in Oregon and beyond
- Collaborate to produce a dynamic online publication that will be a resource for your first-year peers at the UO Our ultimate goal is to help you to emerge as a leader in the communities to which you belong. Come to Oregon and change the world
All first-year students are eligible.
- First - Apply for University Housing and select the program you prefer in the "Academic Residential Communities" section.
- Second - Fill out the Supplemental Application page which will show at the end of your housing application, the program director will be in communication with you over the summer to remind you to fill out the form and determine class placement and details.
This community is currently located in the new residence hall that is under construction and will open in Fall 2017. Please note that Academic Residential Communities can be moved to different residence hall buildings if the size or need of the community changes.
For more information email Charlie Butler, the faculty advisor for the Media and Social Action Academic Residential Community.