Meet chef Bron Smith
Chef, Bron SmithDining Venues: Central Kitchen
Meet Chef Bron
- What brought you to the UO?
- The outstanding reputation of the university, the dynamic team I met during the interview process, and the opportunity to live in a unique city like Eugene.
- What is your favorite dish to prepare?
- It’s always hard to pick a favorite; the world of food is vast. If I had to choose one, it would be braised beef shank over soft polenta, a rich demi-glace, broccolini finished in butter and stock, and a crusty piece of bread. A great Oregon Pinot Noir would make it perfect.
- What influences the recipes you cook?
- I love fresh, natural ingredients prepared using classic methods. I’m excited when food is prepared in a way that highlights its natural flavor.
- What is unique about the UO dining experience?
- This team works exceptionally hard to source local products, find organic produce, and purchase humanely raised meats. There is a real commitment in Dining Services to making student life at the UO a unique experience and making food service great.
- What did you eat for breakfast in dining today?
- I had housemade granola with soymilk, a small scone, coffee, and green tea.
- The universe is ending, and you have 45 minutes to cook one last meal. What would it be, and why?
- I wouldn’t spend too much time at the stove. I’d have a variety of cheese with complex flavors, Spanish chorizo, manchego, sherry from the Jerez region, olives, mussels finished in wine and butter, roasted vegetables, and a good Pinot Noir. It doesn’t get any better than that!