JamesMajor: Philosophy and Economics
Hometown: Damascus, OR
- What is the best part of living on campus?
- Developing a sense of community with those you live around. It’s possible to meet new people and develop good relationships every day.
- What would you tell a first-year student about your housing experience?
- First, I’d say they’re making a good choice by living on campus. Then I’d say take advantage of everything the residence halls offer. If you’re into leadership, think Residence Hall Association (RHA) and Hall Government. If you’re into sports, head to the new student rec center close by. If you’re into music, each hall has a piano and it’s easy to find a practice room. Because the halls are so close to central points on campus, you could work out at the gym, go to the library, play piano, and head back to your room without ever leaving campus. Take advantage of everything around you!
- What are you involved in on campus?
- I am currently the RHA president, which takes up the majority of my time. In the past, I was a Hall Government president for Barnhart Hall, I played intramural sports, and I participated in some of the clubs. Getting involved on campus is essential to your college experience.
- What is your favorite meal on campus?
- The pasta bar at Fresh Marketcafé—I’m a sucker for good pasta. It’s made fast, it has plenty of choices to keep you satisfied, and it tastes great.
- What was move-in day like?
- Move-in day was a special experience. Sure, it was a little hectic, but that made it fun. I remember saying goodbye to my family and then looking around my hall and meeting people. Nobody knew anyone, so everyone was in the same boat. Many of the people I met on that first day are still friends with me today.
- What does it mean to be a Duck?
- To continually improve and strive toward excellence in all areas of life.