Meet Paige Jackson
Paige JacksonDepartment: Academic Advising
Meet Paige Jackson
- Background and Areas of Interest:
- After graduating from college with a BA in Art History, I earned my Master’s degree in Higher Education at the University of Michigan where I worked as an academic advisor for engineering students for several years before taking on my current role as Peer Advising Coordinator for UO’s Office of Academic Advising. My professional areas of interest include peer advising and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) education/advising.
- What brought you to the University of Oregon?
- On a professional level, I was thrilled at the opportunity to build a Peer Advising program from the ground up. On a personal level, I was born and raised just up the road in Salem, Oregon and jumped at the chance to move back to the area and be closer to family. Plus, those Michigan winters were starting to wear me down!
- How did you get involved in Academic Advising?
- I wasn’t even aware that academic advising was a field one could go into until graduate school. I had originally planned to work with student leadership programs or international education but had the pleasure of doing some academic advising as a graduate student and was hooked. I love getting to work with students one-on-one to discuss their plans, strengths, interests, and goals.
- What’s the best advice you have for a college student?
- Don't try to do it alone. Institutions of higher learning can be difficult to navigate, but there are so many resources and people available to support your academic and personal journey.
- How can students contact you?
- Schedule an appointment to see me in Bean during "After Hours" advising in the Hamilton East RLC Office in the 1st Floor Cloran Lounge. I can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.