University Housing

Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management
University of Oregon Home

Community for Musical Scholars

Community for Musical Scholars group discussion with focus on the instructor.

Community for Musical Scholars

What is the Community for Musical Scholars?

This is an exciting and supportive community designed for students who are admitted music majors. You will live with peers from around the world who are pursuing one or more of our many music degrees, such as composition, music education, music technology, and performance. The goal of the community is to provide you with multiple levels of performance, academic, and personal support to further enhance the world-class education you’ll receive in the School of Music and Dance.

Why should I choose to live in the Community for Musical Scholars?

In addition to the benefits of living with colleagues who are pursuing similar degree paths, you will have access to on-site music tutors and academic advising. You will also have around-the-clock access to acoustically designed practice rooms, acoustic and digital pianos, as well as common community and group study spaces. It is equally important to note that your resident assistant will be a music major who can be a valuable resource, especially for students in their first and second years of study.

What amenities will the community feature?

  • Six music practice rooms
  • Lounge with upright piano
  • More access to faculty connections
  • Community learning and engagement
  • Multipurpose room with community study space, classroom technology, and electric keyboards

Which classes will we take?

  • MUS 131 - Music Theory I (2 credits)
  • MUS 132 - Music Theory II 
  • MUS 133 - Music Theory III
  • MUS 358 - Music in World Cultures (4 credits). Satisfies International Cultures (IC) general education requirement.


This community is currently located in Hamilton Hall. Please note that Academic Residential Communities can be moved to different residence hall buildings if the size or need of the community changes. 

Who is eligible and how do I apply?

Only students who are admitted to and pursuing the music major may be a part of this academic residential community. However, there may be room for music minors and non-music majors in the residence hall, which would provide access to practice rooms and an active, engaged musical community. 

  • First - Apply for University Housing and select the program you prefer in the "Academic Residential Communities" section.
  • Second - Fill out the Supplemental Application page which will show at the end of your housing application, the program director will be in communication with you over the summer to remind you to fill out the form and determine class placement and details.

Nonmajors who wish to look into this option should contact the music academic advisor at