Rebecca HodgesDepartment: Academic Advising
Meet Rebecca Hodges
- Background and areas of interest:
- I earned my BA in political science: international security. I completed my master’s degree in international studies with a focus on mental and reproductive health and culture. I did my research in Muscat, Oman.
- What brought you to the University of Oregon?
- I came to Eugene for graduate school. I grew up in the Seattle area, and love the Pacific Northwest. I liked that the international studies program at the UO would allow me to form close relationships with faculty, travel abroad for research, and provide opportunities for professional development through graduate teaching fellowships.
- How did you get involved in academic advising?
- In my graduate program here at the UO I worked as an advisor in the International Studies Department. I didn’t expect to love advising so much, but quickly realized that even more than being in the classroom with students, I really enjoy getting to hear what they are passionate about and helping them navigate the UO and connect with resources that can support them in their academic and personal goals. When I finished my graduate program I was excited to see there was an opening for an advising position in the Office of Academic Advising.
- What’s the best advice you have for a college student?
- I always encourage students to explore what they are passionate about beyond the classroom. Find internships, research opportunities, or other ways to get involved with an issue or interest in a more hands-on way. Having engaged with your education on a more substantive level will make you stand out as you apply for future opportunities. Getting involved also helps you to reflect on what drives you.
- How can students contact you?
- I will be reaching out to you directly via e-mail regarding advising appointments. I can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.