room and board community tips and resources calendar apply
Skip Secondary Navigation
0   to main page 0
what to bring
early move-in
moving in guide
move-out guide
faq: frequently asked questions
summer storage
academic breaks
roommates and room change request
mail / housing service centers
health and fitness
safety and security
buses, bikes, and cars
alcohol and drugs
conduct process
online forms

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Application, Contract and Room Assignments Roommates and Hallmates Mail and Packages What to Bring Computers, Telephones, Bikes and Laundry Safety and Privacy Policies Leadership, Jobs and Events

Application, Contract, and Room Assignments

0 Do I have to live in a residence hall? 0

No, you don't have to, but we highly recommend it. You will find that living in the residence halls is much more convenient than living off-campus. You are closer to classes, meals are prepared for you, and you won't have to drive to a laundromat or hunt for a parking space close to campus. Your residence hall bill will come on your UO statement, so you won't have to keep track of several bills. You will also enjoy cable television, local phone service, and free, high-speed internet access on campus. In no other living situation will you meet as many people as you can in the residence halls. Additionally, research indicates that students living in residence hall situations maintain a higher GPA and graduation rate than those who live off-campus.

0 When can I apply for fall housing? 0

Only students who have been offered UO admission will be able to apply for on-campus housing. The application, residence hall contract and initial payment are combined into an integrated online process through DuckWeb (

How it works:

  1. Once offered admission by the university, students may log onto DuckWeb and access the “Housing” menu.

  2. In the “Housing” section of DuckWeb, they can fill out and submit an application, read and electronically sign the residence hall contract, and make an initial payment that includes the application fee of $50 and prepayment of $350.

  3. When these steps are all complete, the student will have secured a residence hall space with University Housing for fall 2014-15. All three steps (application, contract and payment) must be complete to secure a space.

  4. University Housing will assign students their rooms during the summer of 2014, based on application data, academic residential programs, FIG choices, and other considerations. Room assignment information will be sent to students in August 2014.
0 If I receive or submit my housing application, am I accepted to the university? 0

Housing applications are only accepted from students who have been admitted to the University.

0 What happens after I apply for housing? 0

As part of the application process in DUCKWEB, , you will also be signing your housing contract and making your $350 prepayment for Fall 2014-2015. Once you complete this process, you are GUARANTEED a space in housing. Room assignments will be done is early August 2014.

0 When will I get my room/roommate assignment? 0

Room and Roommate(s) assignments will be e-mailed mid- August. Move-in information will be sent at the beginning of September. If you did not receive an e-mail by the end of August please contact the University Housing office at 541-346-4277 or Due to privacy restrictions, we cannot give out specific room assignment or roommate information over the phone or through e-mail.

0 Can I make changes to my application after I've submitted it? 0

Yes, you can submit a profile change request, as long as the deadline (July 27 for fall term) has not passed.

0 Where are the Special-Interest Halls and Residential FIGs located? 0

Special-interest halls and residential FIGs are located throughout the halls. Locations change from year to year depending on demand, so exact locations are not determined until the room assignments are made in August.

0 How should I choose a room type? 0

Room types vary in amenities (such as private bathrooms or in-room sinks). Most rooms with private bathrooms are located in Barnhart Hall, five blocks west of campus. Consider your budget, availability of room types, and location to make wise selections.

0 Can I reserve a single room? 0

You may request three room types on your application, two of which can be singles.

0 If I think I might join a fraternity/sorority, what are my options? 0

If you move into a residence hall and then want to move out into a Greek house, you are breaking your contract and are thus required to pay $9 per day from the day you check-out until the end of the academic year. The Greek release program has been discontinued.

0 What is the charge for breaking my contract? 0

If you break your residence hall contract you must pay $9 per day from the day of checkout until the end of the academic year.

0 How do I purchase an overnight parking permit? 0

For overnight parking permits, please contact the University of Oregon, Department of Public Safety at, about purchasing an overnight parking permit.

Roommates and Hallmates

0 Are the halls co-ed? 0

Most halls are single gender by floor (i.e. men on the first floor and women on the second floor). Barnhart, Riley, the Global Scholars Hall, and the Living-Learning Center are single gender by room. Carson is single gender by wing. The Gender Equity Hall allows roommates to live together regardless of gender.

In an effort to provide housing choices that reflect the diverse needs of students, University Housing has created a gender-inclusive housing option — residence hall rooms where people of any sex or gender can live together.

0 How do I get matched with a roommate? 0

Roommates are matched based on the answers provided on the residence hall application, so it is very important that you are thoughtful and honest in your responses to the lifestyle questions and your special interest hall choices. If you would like to change your preferences, submit a profile change request. If you are requesting a specific roommate, you will both need to list the same special interest halls in the same order of preference. If you are selecting FIGs, you need to match those choices as well.

0 Can I live with a particular roommate? 0

It's as simple as writing down your requested roommate's name and student ID number on your housing application. You will both need to list the same special interest halls in the same order of preference. If you are selecting FIGs, you need to match those choices as well. Applicants who request each other prior to July 27 for fall term will be matched. If you have already sent in your housing application, you may still submit a profile change request for fall term prior to July 27, and we will change your housing application.

0 How can I switch my hall, room, or roommate? 0

After you have lived in the halls for a few weeks, you will have the opportunity to request a change. First fill out a request form from your Housing Service Center. Depending on your request (i.e. changing rooms, halls, complexes, and/or roommates), your name will be placed on a waiting list until there is a vacancy that meets your request (during fall term there may be a significant waiting period). If you have a serious conflict, you can contact your live-in staff, or assistant director of residence life.

More information...

0 If I allow my phone number or e-mail address to be released to my roommate, how will it be used? 0

Your phone and e-mail address will be sent electronically to your roommate in mid-August. You will be able to contact each other before moving in and plan what to bring to your room.

Mail and Packages

0 What is a Housing Service Center? 0

There are four Housing Service Centers for the halls. At these centers, you can check out spare keys, borrow movies or games, pick up mail, and more.

0 How should mail for residents be addressed? 0
0 Can I mail belongings instead of bringing them with me? 0

Since we have limited storage space, we will not accept boxes or parcels for residents who have not yet arrived. Packages arriving too early will be returned.

What To Bring

0 What furnishings are in each room? 0

All student rooms in the residence halls contain:

  • A bed for each resident (a mattress with a mattress pad and an adjustable loft bed, spring bed or captains bed)
  • Desk and desk chair
  • Wardrobe or closet
  • Window blinds or draperies
  • A wastebasket and recycling bin
  • Cable connection
  • Wall to Wall carpeting (with the exception of Living Learning Center and Global Scholars Hall)

Most rooms are carpeted (except those in the Living-Learning Center), and all include a cable plug, which provides local expanded-basic cable. All residence hall rooms are equipped with dedicated Internet access. Check out ResNet for help with setting up your computer.

0 What should I bring? What can't I bring? 0
0 Can beds be lofted or bunked? 0

Installation of pre-fabricated lofts is not allowed. Some rooms have bunks or loft beds built in, and all LLC and Global Scholars Hall rooms can use specially designed lofts (available by request from respective Housing Service Centers). Your assignment e-mail indicates if you are assigned to a room with a loft bed.

0 Can I use cinderblocks or bed risers? 0

Cinderblocks are not allowed. If you have a metal-frame bed, you can use bed risers to raise your bed and allow for extra storage. When you move in, you can assess whether you have the right kind of bed for risers (only high-density risers made of polyethelene that hold 1,200 lbs. are allowed). Bed risers are usually available at Grab 'N' Go Marketplace.

0 What are all these linen mailings I'm getting? 0

Every year, several companies mail out information about purchasing college linens. The only company that has worked with UO Housing is On Campus Marketing, who has an agreement with the Residence Hall Association (RHA) to provide a portion of the proceeds from their sales to RHA for leadership development.

0 How do I know the size of my bed, so I can purchase linens? 0
  Width Length
Barnhart, Bean, GSH, Hamilton
LLC, Riley, Walton
36" 80"
Carson, Earl 36" 75"

Most of our beds are extra-long, so the majority of our students will need extra-long sheets. You can fit an extra-long sheet to a regular mattress, but the opposite does not hold true.

Note: This is a general guide; there may be variation within the halls.

Computers, Telephones, Bikes, and Laundry

Computer related questions can be answered by ResNet.

0 How can I secure my bike or computer? 0

The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) provides a free bicycle registration service to discourage theft and assist in property recovery. Computer locks are available at The Duck Store. To register your laptop with UOPD to help with recovery if it is stolen, visit For additional security information, visit the UOPD website at

0 Can I access UO Wireless (802.11g/b WiFi) from my room? 0

Ethernet connections, which provide free, high-speed Internet access, are available in each room. To connect, you will need a CAT5 or CAT6 Ethernet cable, which can be purchased from ResNet for about $6–$8 depending on length. Wireless access points are also available throughout Barnhart, Bean, Carson, Earl, Hamilton, the LLC, the Global Scholars Hall, and in most residence hall lounges, study rooms, and dining areas. Please visit for a current map of wireless coverage on campus. Students living in Riley or Walton may bring a wireless router for their room.

0 Is long-distance telephone service available? 0

You will need to sign up for long distance service with University of Oregon Telecommunications Services Department.

0 How do I do laundry? 0

Laundry rooms are located in each building. All laundry facilities use High Efficiency detergent and softener. You will need a laundry card to operate the washing machines in your building. Washing will cost you 75 cents per load. Dryers are free! Add value to your laundry card by visiting an "Add Value" station located in the Hamilton Commons, LLC North Lobby, Barnhart lobby, or near the Housing Service Center at the GSH. You can add money to your laundry card with $5 or $10 bills, or a debit card. Add Value machines do not give change. Laundry cards are treated the same as cash. There are no refunds for misplaced or lost cards as well as no refunds for any cash value left on your laundry card at checkout time. We recommend adding money to your laundry card in small increments since refunds are not available. Should you misplace or lose your card, a new laundry card can be purchased from the Add Value station. Replacement cards cost $5, and each comes with a preloaded value of $3. You will be asked to return your laundry card with your room and mailbox keys when you vacate. If you have problems with Add Value stations, laundry cards, or laundry machines, please contact WEB directly at 1-800-288-9323.

Safety and Privacy

0 How can I help keep the halls safe? 0

Hamilton commons and Carson Barnhart Service Centers open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 10:00 p.m. The Living-Learning Center Service Center is accessible 24 hours. Hall doors are locked 24 hours per day and you must have a key to enter. Safety in the halls is a shared responsibility between residents and the university. Much of the safety relies on the residents not lending their keys or allowing strangers to enter the halls. Our live-in staff patrols the halls and complexes and the Department of Public Safety patrols in and around buildings regularly. For more information, please see our security information,, or visit the UOPD website at and around buildings regularly...more

To request a copy of the report on campus security policies and crime statistics, contact the UOPD.

0 What about renters insurance? 0

When moving into the residence halls, it is important to consider insuring your possessions. Most insurance companies will insure your residence hall room under your parents' homeowners insurance, but it is important to check with their agent to make sure. If your parents do not have homeowners insurance, or your room is not covered under their policy, you should consider purchasing renters insurance from an insurance agency. Policies generally cost less than $15 a month and will insure up to $20,000 in personal property. Coverage typically includes loss from fire or lightning, smoke, vandalism and malicious mischief, breakage and theft. It is important to ask if the policy will cover "Actual Cost Value" or "Replacement Cost Value." Actual Cost Value will reimburse you for the value of the item at the time of loss—a 10-year-old couch might be valued at $50. Replacement Cost Value will reimburse you for the cost to replace that item—a 10-year-old couch would be replaced for the average price of a new couch. Renters insurance will also cover someone else's property if it is damaged while in your residence.

0 How private are my student records? 0

Federal law, specifically the Buckley Amendment to the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA), prohibits us from granting anyone who does not have an educational need to know, access to your educational record without your written permission. In short, we can't share your educational/judicial records with anyone (family members included) unless you ask us to.


0 What is the alcohol and drug policy? 0
0 Is there a curfew? 0

You are expected to set your own limits.

0 What is the overnight guest policy? 0

One of the most common areas of roommate conflict involves the hosting of overnight guests. Visits by overnight guests are limited to six per term and require prior written approval from your roommate for each visit.

0 Where is smoking allowed? 0

The UO Campus is smoke- and tobacco-free as of September 1, 2012.

Leadership, Jobs, and Events

0 How do I become a Resident Assistant (RA)? 0

The RA selection process starts at the end of fall term and goes through the spring term. Keep your eye out for recruiting information posted in the halls, check out the jobs page, and talk to your RA or Residence Life Coordinator for more information.

0 How can I get involved in events and activities in the Residence Halls? 0

Talk to student staff and other hall residents to get the scoop on how to connect, or check out the online event calendar. You can also attend your hall government meetings or get involved in the Residence Hall Association and its weekly meetings.

0 How do I apply for a job with UO Housing? 0
0 What events happen in the halls? 0

Check the residence hall event calendar: and the bulletin boards in your hall. RAs post flyers for all sorts of university events and many are free!