All halls will close on Friday, June 14, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
Moving Out Guide 2013
Please help make the closedown process smooth by taking note of the
following dates, deadlines, and instructions.
Our Getting Here move out map is a great tool for individuals that will be coming to campus to assist a student. Our Move Out Parking map will assist you with finding our active loading zones as well as traffic changes.
You are required to sign up to check out on duckPad. You will need to checkout 24 hours after your last final or by 7:00 p.m. on Friday of finals week, whichever comes first.
If you are planning on leaving the residence halls before 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 14, 2013, you may sign up for Express Checkout. This is a process that allows students to check out of the residence halls without scheduling an appointment with their student staff member. If you choose to participate in Express Checkout, you are agreeing to waive your right to appeal any charges that may result from your room not being cleaned or returned to its original configuration, or any damages found during the post-occupancy inspection.
Due to maintenance, campus facilities projects, and summer conferences, we will not be offering any extensions beyond the Residence Hall Contract 2012–13 expiration date and time of Friday, June 14, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. The only exception is for graduating seniors.
If you are a graduating senior, you will need to speak with your residence life coordinator or assistant residence life coordinator prior to Monday, June 10, 2013, and provide documentation of your graduation status by printing your online Enrollment Verification from the Office of the Registrar’s website. You will be allowed to stay until Monday, June 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. Please begin to make your travel and late stay arrangements now.
Big Mouth Burrito, Carson and Barnhart Dining, Common Grounds Café, the Fire ‘n’ Spice Grill, and Fresh Marketcafé will close on Friday, June 14, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. The Grab ‘n’ Go, DUX Bistro, and Puddles Café will close on Friday, June 14, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
- students with the Mini meal plan (65 points) will receive 54 meal points
- students with the Standard meal plan (80 points) will receive 67 meal points
- students with the Deluxe meal plan (95 points) will receive 79 meal points
When you have completed your checkout, you will no longer have food points available. This includes any rollover points that you may have accumulated throughout the term. You must use the rollover points prior to checkout.
Please remember to watch your property when you are packing your belongings. Do not load your car with valuables and leave it unattended overnight. Packed cars are targets for thieves during dead week and finals. Please keep your doors locked.
If room damage was not noted on your Property and Room Condition Report at the time of your check-in, it is considered your liability, and you will be charged for it, unless you can prove otherwise. Any charges for damage or cleaning in a common area will be divided equally among all students in the floor, hall, or building. Additional cleaning and damage charges may be assessed after checkout.
Please review the checkout procedures carefully and make an effort to talk to your roommate to work out a fair and equitable cleaning arrangement.
The end of spring term brings extra congestion to campus—please plan accordingly. The university’s annual Spring Commencement will be held Monday, June 17. This event will increase vehicle and foot traffic on campus. For a more successful checkout, please plan to allow extra time for getting to campus by vehicle and finding a parking spot for loading.
Below is a checklist of areas expected to be cleaned before you and your roommate check out on or before June 14, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. Please negotiate between yourselves who is to be responsible for cleaning a specific area. It is important to note that these procedures are part of your contract and that failure to follow through with these procedures may result in an improper checkout fine as well as charges for cleaning, missing keys and furniture, and damaged property. Also, it is expected that once your roommate has cleaned agreed area(s) and has been successfully checked out by a staff member, it is your responsibility to keep the area clean. If you mess up a “signed off” area and fail to clean it, you will incur the cleaning charge even though it was your roommate’s area of responsibility. Everyone is responsible for removing all debris and personal belongings from the room. Look for posted signs regarding summer storage.
- Sign up for Express Checkout or make a checkout appointment with your student staff.
- Bring all trash and recycling to designated locations. Do not leave trash in hallways or other public areas. Your student account will be charged if University Housing staff has to remove trash.
- Help the environment while you move out:
- Donate all unwanted reusable items such as clothing, appliances, unopened non-perishable food, bedding, and electronics at your hall lobby beginning June 5 at 12:00 p.m. until June 14.
- Recycle all paper, cardboard boxes, glass and plastic bottles, and metals cans at your residence hall’s nearest recycling site.
- The carpet must be vacuumed or the floor must be swept, including underneath the beds.
- Remove all personal belongings. (Have you checked the bathroom, laundry areas, drawers, and trunk rooms?)
- Return any checked out equipment to the Housing Service Center (games, movies, hand trucks, etc).
- Return all dishes (including the plastic dining plates and baskets), flatware, and glasses belonging to University Housing to the dining hall.
- Remove all decorations from walls, windows, mirrors, and doors. Feel free to take your O!
- Be sure all residence hall furnishings (including beds, recycling bins, bookcases, desk chairs, etc.) are accounted for and left in the room. All furnishings must be reassembled if they were disassembled. If your bed is lofted, return it to the lowest position to avoid charges.
- Return room, hall, or common area inventory (furniture, vacuums, etc).
- Restore your room to the condition it was when you checked in, including moving furniture if needed.
- Complete your Express Checkout or meet with your student staff member for your checkout appointment. Be sure to hand in your keys and laundry card. If you fail to make or keep your checkout appointment with your RA, you may be charged an improper checkout fee.