Your Safety is Key
A safe student is a successful student, and University Housing is committed to ensuring your security. Living on campus with about 4,000 people means communication is the key to staying safe.
- Sign up for the UO Alert text messaging system to stay informed.
- If you lose your keys tell your Housing Service Center.
- Only let someone into the building or apartment if they are your personal guest.
- Never prop open outside doors and keep your unit door locked.
- Register your bike and your computer with the University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD).
- Report suspicious persons and incidents to professional staff.
- If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe, call UOPD. For non-emergencies: 541-346-2919. For emergencies: 9-1-1.
Tips & Services
When walking around campus at night, it is always a good idea to go with a friend or two. The interactive UO map also has marked paths that are well-lit and near the UOPD emergency call boxes.
The Associated Students of the University of Oregon (ASUO) also provides a service called Safe Ride. UO students can make appointments to receive a ride home in one of Safe Ride’s vans. This service typically runs until 12:00 a.m. during the week and until 2:00 a.m. on weekends.
Safety in Your Home
Each unit includes many features to help ensure your safety:
- one-way peep holes
- smoke detectors