Chef, Shawn SavageDining Venues: Carson Dining and Central Kitchen
Meet Chef Shawn
- What brought you to the UO?
- I was at the point in my career that I felt the need for growth, and the UO was just what I was looking for. Eugene also seemed to be a better fit for me and my family; the town is more eclectic and more laid back, and the food scene is much better.
- What is your favorite dish to prepare?
- Beef bourguignon. It’s just a classic French dish that takes time, patience, experience, and love for the food to get the dish just right.
- What influences the recipes you cook?
- My past experiences in restaurants and hotels. Also, the chefs I’ve worked under or have read about. Passion and creativity also influence my recipes.
- What is unique about the UO dining experience?
- Working at a central kitchen gives me a different perspective on the dining experience. The central kitchen provides food for all the dining venues at the university. As we see it, central kitchen’s customers are all the dining venues. We have a hand in helping each dining venue be unique. We are always active in creating new items found throughout campus, whether it’s the Thai chicken curry served at Carson Dining, the sandwiches served at DUX Bistro, the retail items at Puddles Café, the specialty cupcakes at Fresh Marketcafé or all the special events held within our University Catering department. The Central Kitchen truly is where food service at the university begins.
- What did you eat for breakfast in dining today?
- Coffee and a wheat maple scone from Carson Dining.
- The universe is ending, and you have 45 minutes to cook one last meal. What would it be, and why?
- Sushi using seafood caught in the waters off Hokkaido, Japan.