Live-On Requirement

First-year students live on campus

All incoming first-year undergraduate students are required to live on campus. 

Living on campus for at least your first year is a significant advantage that contributes to your success at the University of Oregon. You will be part of a community and make connections to other students, faculty, and staff. Living on campus also connects you to services that support you as you transition to college life. Studies show that first-year full-time students living on campus have higher GPAs, stay in school in higher numbers, and graduate faster.

The University of Oregon recognizes that exceptions to the live-on requirement may be appropriate in certain circumstances and may be requested on My Housing. Exemption requests are reviewed by an advisory group.

American English Institute (AEI) students should contact for information about housing options for AEI students and additional assistance in registering for housing.

AEI Student Housing Options

Fall 2020 exemption request deadline

The deadline to complete an exemption request is September 1, 2020.

Exemptions that will normally be approved:

  • Students who have graduated from high school more than one calendar year before their starting term at UO.
  • Students over the age of 21 by the first day of their starting term at UO.
  • Students who are living with a parent or legal guardian within a 30-mile radius of the University of Oregon Eugene campus.
  • Students who are married or in a registered domestic partnership or civil union.
  • Students who are caring for a dependent who is living with them.
  • Students who are veterans or on active duty.
  • Students who are in an UO-sponsored program that requires living off campus or out of the area.
  • Students who have a disability that cannot be accommodated on campus.
  • Students who have religious, moral, or ethical beliefs that cannot be accommodated on campus.
  • Students who have a concern living in the residence halls due to COVID-19 and plan to live at home while taking classes remotely (2020-2021 academic year only)
  • American English Institute students taking IEP classes are not required to reside on campus.

Other exceptions not listed above will also be considered on a case-by-case basis. Students can request an exemption to the live-on requirement online.

Request an exemption

Frequently asked questions:

I have concerns about living in the residence halls due to COVID-19. What should I do?

First, find out about all that we are doing to ensure our students have a safe and positive living experience. We have several prevention efforts in place in the residence halls such as increased cleaning protocols and guided signage to remind students how to stay safe. You can read more about what we are doing and what you can expect from living in the residence halls on our Coronavirus Information for Residents page. Whether we are in the middle of a pandemic or not, we want you to have an outstanding UO and on-campus residential experience. Our (incredible) Residence Life team will be there to provide engagement opportunities and support you—in person and virtually.

The university will provide exemptions to the first-year live-on requirement. If a student chooses to apply they should complete their exemption in My Housing by September 1, 2020. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions.

What about families who own property in the Eugene area but don’t live at the property, could the student live there rather than living on campus?
To qualify for an exemption to the live-on requirement, a student must live with the parent or legal guardian.

What constitutes as a legal guardian? 
The student must be a dependent of the parent or legal guardian to qualify to live with them within a 30-mile radius of campus exemption.

If I qualify for an exemption what do I need to do?
Fill out an exemption on My Housing and wait for confirmation that the exemption has been granted.

Who is on the advisory group?
The advisory group is composed of a wide range of university campus partners and includes representatives from Financial Aid, Academic Advising, and the Office of the Dean of Students as well as a representative from the Academic Residential Community Council. The University Housing Associate Director of Residence Life, Resident Services and Systems will staff the committee as a non-voting member. No member of University Housing will have a vote on the advisory group. 

Am I required to live on campus if I am dual-enrolled at Lane Community College?
Students who are registered for 12 credits or more at the UO are required to live on-campus. Students who are dual-enrolled at UO and LCC taking fewer than 12 credits at the UO will need to submit an exemption.

I will not be a full time student, do I need to live on campus?
The live-on requirement is for full-time, first-year students. If you are not a full-time student (12 credits for undergraduate students) you will need to submit an exemption.

Can I apply for an exemption even if my reason is not listed on the website?
Yes, each case is individually reviewed and all students are able to apply for an exemption.