Residence Hall Move-in Fall 2020
Move-in days and COVID-19 testing will still take place beginning September 18. However, due to the air quality in some of the residence halls from the wildfire smoke, we are making adjustments to the move-in times and dates for some students in Earl, Hamilton, and Walton to protect the health of all students and staff. We are working hard to provide a very strong on-campus experience. Every student with a residence hall contract will receive an email with additional information and will be given flexibility to move in later, and if need be, to cancel their housing contract without penalty. We believe air quality will improve in the coming days and are making every effort to welcome students back to campus safely. We appreciate your patience and know that this is a challenging situation for everyone involved.
Wind and smoke in Eugene and throughout Oregon have not changed as forecasted in recent days. Our residence halls have been differentially impacted and adjustments to testing and move-in dates for some of our residents need to be made. Wildfire information and resources can be found on our UO Wildfire website.
Earl, Hamilton, and Walton Residents
- Earl, Hamilton, and Walton residents will not be able to move into assigned rooms until the indoor air quality has improved for residents. We anticipate that this will be toward the end of the testing and move-in schedule. For those who have a testing date between September 18–22, you need to choose a new testing and move-in date starting September 23 in your My Housing portal. We have opened up additional time slots in My Housing beginning September 24 (testing) and September 25 (move-in).
- Earl, Hamilton, and Walton residents who have a testing date on or after September 23 do not need to make any changes at this time. Students who have testing dates after September 23 can adjust their testing and move-in dates as slots are available.
Justice Bean, Carson, Global Scholars Hall, Kalapuya Ilihi, Living Learning Center Residents
- Residents in Justice Bean, Carson, Global Scholars Hall, Kalapuya Ilihi, and Living Learning Center may make changes to testing date and move-in as available in My Housing. Priority for later time slots will go to those assigned to Earl, Hamilton, and Walton.
Move-in and Testing Details
- Because of outdoor air quality we have moved the testing location inside Matthew Knight Arena. We will send an email with more details about the testing location and process as well as move-in one day prior to your testing date.
- The housing check-in location will be moved indoors for the first few days. We are hoping to continue outdoor check-in later. We will inform students of the location at least one day prior to your assigned testing date. This will be noted in My Housing, along with a map.
- Residents are allowed to postpone their testing and move-in as they see necessary to accommodate concerns over the smoke and fires in Oregon.
- Should travel plans be changed due to the smoke, fires, or other issues, students should log into My Housing and select a new testing and move-in date. UO is working on providing COVID-19 testing and move-in times beyond the last scheduled dates of September 27 (testing) and September 28 (move-in). If you would like to test and move in after these dates please visit My Housing to cancel your current date and indicate that you are interested in a testing date after September 27. As soon as those dates and times become available in My Housing we will email you with details.
Charges and Cancellations
- Those who move in after September 25, will be charged a daily pro-rated rate for fall term after they move in. For more details, please contact University Housing.
- Students may choose to cancel their housing registration and not move into the residence halls before October 15, 2020. Students will not be charged cancellation fees and the $350 initial housing payment will be credited to their student account if cancelled by October 15, 2020.
- If a student chooses to cancel, they do not need to file for an exemption to the first-year live-on requirement, they can simply cancel their housing registration. (Note: this will be retroactive for those who already cancelled between September 1, 2020, and now.)
Health and Well-being
- The health and safety of our residents is our number one priority.
- We will be monitoring all of our buildings daily and doing everything we can to improve the air quality in Earl, Hamilton, and Walton.
- COVID-19 testing will take place inside Matthew Knight Arena.
- Check-in for move-in will be held in the Ford Alumni Center until outside air quality returns to reasonable levels. Specific check-in information will be available in the My Housing portal.
- Many of our local hotels are housing evacuees from the wildfires. We recommend students and families contact their hotels to ensure there are no changes to their reservations. If students or families need to make a new reservation, Travel Lane County is offering to assist with the booking. Please call 541-484-5307 and they will be happy to assist.
- We are very sorry, but UO is not able to reimburse students and families for travel-related charges. We do know that many airlines and hotels are offering credits, especially due to the extenuating circumstances of the wildfires and smoke. We encourage you to explore that directly with the companies.
COVID-19 Testing Requirement
All students living in the residence halls will be required to have a COVID-19 test and a negative result prior to being able to move in to their permanent room. More information can be found on our COVID-19 updates page.