What is the Comunidad de Latinx Scholars?
The Latinx Academic Residential Community aims to create and promote a positive and supportive space that eases your transition as first year Latinx students into University of Oregon life, while empowering you to become prominent campus leaders.
Through connections to other students with similar interests and/or cultural backgrounds and connections to faculty and academic support on campus, you can shape your intellectual journey while changing the face of the university.
The Latinx ARC and its theme creates a common bond for all residents— Latinx and non-Latinx alike—that will foster cross-cultural understanding.
Why should I choose to live in this community?
- An opportunity for Latinx scholars to explore connections and build community
- Be part of a network of culturally sensitive faculty members, administrators, and fellow students
- Find courses that support your interests in Latinx-themed studies or Latinx identity
- Access the rich variety of opportunities available at the UO such as Tarea Time (homework/study hours), cultural events, and academic support
- Access the rich variety of academic, cultural, research, and leadership opportunities at the UO
- Mentorship opportunities from faculty members, staff, and students at the UO
What classes will we take?
In the fall, you will take ES 254: Intro to Chicano/Latino Studies.
For winter and spring term, you will be free to select courses from a curated list that best suits your academic and personal interests.
These classes, focused around Latinx-themed studies, offer a cross-department, collaborative experience by offering courses in history, English, Spanish, and ethnic studies. These options will be complemented by the cohesive ARC 199 course each term.
The term Latinx (pronounced “lə•tee'•nex”) is an inclusive term that represents the singular and plural forms. It is used to describe people, not things.
Residence Hall: Bean Hall
Please note that communities can be moved to different residence hall buildings if the size or need of the community changes.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Who is eligible and how do I apply?
The Latinx ARC will open in Fall 2019, it is open to anyone who identifies as Latinx or who identifies as an ally to the Latinx community. We want students who have a strong affiliation or connection to the Latinx community.
- Apply for University Housing and select the community you prefer in the "Community Preference" section.
- Fill out the supplemental questions on your housing application. The program director will be in communication with you over the summer to remind you to fill out the form and determine class placement and details.